The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is a computer adaptive standardized test for measuring aptitude to succeed academically in graduate business studies
Business schools commonly use the test as one of many selection criteria for admission into an MBA program. For leading business schools worldwide, the GMAT is recognized as the most effective test available for matching student competencies with program demands regardless of program type or the race, gender, or national origin of students. The GMAT exam measures basic verbal, mathematical, and analytical writing skills that one has developed in his education and work.
The GMAT tests the fundamental skills – Reasoning and Comprehension included – and does not require any subject-specific theoretical study.
IT DOES NOT MEASURE
- The knowledge of business
- Job skills
- Specific content in one’s undergraduate or first university course work
- Abilities in students other specific subject area, or
- Creativity , subject and interpersonal of qualities skills
The GMAT exam consists of three main parts, the Analytical writing Assessment, the Quantitative section, and the verbal section.
Analytical Writing Assessment
The GMAT exam begins with the Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA).The AWA consists of two separate writing tasks- Analysis of an issue and Analysis of an Argument. Students are allowed 30 minutes to complete each one.
Following an optional ten- minute break, students begin the Quantitative section of the GMAT exam. This section contains 37 multiple –choice questions of two question types- Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving. Students are allowed a maximum of 75 minutes to complete the entire section.
After a second optional ten – minute break, students begin the Verbal section of the GMAT exam .This section contains 41 multiple choice questions of three question types-Reading Comprehension , Critical Reasoning and sentence correction .students are allowed a maximum of 75 minutes to complete the entire section.
The cost to take the GMAT is US$ 250.00
In addition to the cost of taking the GMAT, other charges may apply in certain circumstances:
- Re-scheduling the GMAT costs an additional US$ 50.00 and this has to be done at least 7 calendar days prior to the test day.
- A rescheduling fee will apply as stated below:
- More than 7 calendar days before the scheduled test date: US$50.00 fee (each time you reschedule)
- Within 7 calendar days before the scheduled test date: Additional US$250.00 fee.
- Within 24 hours of the scheduled test date and time: Appointment cannot be rescheduled. If you do not show up for your scheduled appointment, your account history will display the appointment as a no-show. This will not appear on your score reports when you send them to schools.
- Scores need to be confirmed or cancelled by the student at the end of the test. To reinstate a cancelled score, a fee of $ 100.00 has to be paid.
What is a Computer Adaptive Test?
In a computer-adaptive test (CAT), questions are selected according to the student’s level of intelligence. It starts with a question of average difficulty, and the correctness of the answer sets the difficulty level of the subsequent question. This pattern continues until the student gets to the end of the section and their ability on that subject has been measured.
What admission strategy must an applicant apply to increase the chances of acceptance at a Business School?
It is imperative that students put importance on their GMAT tests as well as their application essays. Their applications should exhibit their readiness for pursuing a programme at the Business School and speak of their willingness to contribute to the school environment.
Is it advisable to re-take the GMAT if the score received in the first attempt is low?
Students must make a concerted effort to prepare for the GMAT the second time and then retake the exam, if they feel that their GMAT test scores do not reflect their actual capabilities.
For what duration is a GMAT score valid?
A GMAT score is valid for 5 years. While a student can retake the exam to improve upon scores, Business Schools will have access to all your scores registered for the last 5 years. Hence, candidates are advised to prepare thoroughly before sitting for the exam.
When do I consider myself ready to take the GMAT?
Our 48 hour module is specifically customized and designed to make a candidate ‘exam ready’. However if a student is deemed to be under prepared, we offer a combination of extra tutoring, further mock tests and result oriented strategic sessions to prepare the student to appear for the GMAT.